The Reverend Barbara Putney Smith-Moran, S.O.Sc was ordained to the diaconate
in 1989; and to priesthood in, 1990 with the Episcopal Church in the U.S.A.
She is a life-professed member of the Society of Ordained Scientists (a
dispersed preaching order of the Anglican Church).
- Randolph-Macon Womans College, Lynchburg, Virginia ( B.A., chemistry,
- The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland ( M.A.T., chemistry,
biology, 1969 )
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts ( M.A., astronomy, 1974 )
- Episcopal Divinity School, Cambridge, Massachusetts ( M.Div.,
theology/pastoral theology, 1989 )
2000 - 2002 Northeast Regional Director, Science & Religion Course
Program, Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences
- 1989 - 2000 Founding Director, New England Center for Faith and Science
- 1990 - 1999 Founding Coordinator, Religion and Science Program, The Boston
Theological Institute, the consortium of nine seminaries and divinity
schools in the greater Boston area
- 1997 - Senior Editor, The Journal of Faith and Science Exchange, Boston
- 1990 - Parish Priest, Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts
- 1990 - Retreat Director, spiritual retreat for scientists/engineers
- 1989 - 95 Campus Chaplain, Lesley College, Cambridge; Director of Campus
Ministry, Framingham State College
- 1971 - 73 Research Assistant, Harvard College Observatory, Cambridge,
- 1967 - 97 Educator at the secondary school and adult level, physical
Committees and Commissions
- Episcopal Church Committee on Science, Technology and Faith (a committee
of the Executive Council), Founder and Co-chair, 1997 -
- Science and Spirit Resources, Inc., Board of Directors, Vice Chair, 1998 -
99; Chair, 1999 - 2000
- John Templeton Foundation, Center for Humility Theology, Board of
Advisors, 1993 - 96
- Society of Ordained Scientists, North American Chapter Co-convener, 1993 -
- Commission on Prophetic Ministries, Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts,
1989 - 99; Co-chair, 1997 - 99.
- Faith and Genetics Working Group, Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts,
Co-chair, 1997 -
- New England Center for Faith and Science Exchange, Advisory Board,
200-2002; Executive Board, 2002 - ; Advisory Board for the Charles Townes
Lectureship in Science and Religion, 2002 -
- God and Science: Must We Choose, a curriculum for adult Christian
education. Two invited chapters, Science and Western Christianity and
The Bible and Sciences. The New England Center for Faith and Science
Exchange. (Newton Centre, Mass.: B.T.I., 1995 ).
- Soul at Work: Reflections on a Spirituality of Working, by Barbara
Smith-Moran ( Winona, Wisc.: St. Marys Press, 1997 ).
- Living in Nature: Religion & Science in Dialogue on the Environment, a
30-min. educational video. Produced by Rodney Petersen, Barbara Smith-Moran,
and Susan Youmans (Newton Centre, Mass.: B.T.I., 1996; distributed by Island
Press, Washington, D.C.).
- F&SE Notices, volumes 1-10 ( 1989-99 ), a monthly newsletter for the
science-and-religion field. Written/edited by Barbara Smith-Moran ( Newton
Centre, Mass.: F&SE).
- Human Genetic Enhancement: Proceedings from an Open Forum on Christian
Concerns and the State of Technology, ed. by Barbara Smith-Moran (Newton
Centre, Mass.: B.T.I, 1998).
- Journal of Faith and Science Exchange, ( B.T.I., 1997- ), an annual
publication. Ed. by Barbara Smith-Moran (Newton Centre, Mass.: B.T.I.).
- Consumption, Population & the Environment, ed. by Audrey R. Chapman,
Rodney L. Petersen, and Barbara Smith-Moran ( Washington, D.C.: Island
Press, 2000 ).
- The Evolutionary Past and Future of God, invited chapter in God for
the 21st Century, ed. by Russell Stannard. ( Philadelphia: Templeton
Foundation Press, 2000 ).
To return to previous topic, click on your browser's 'Back' button.